Saturday, May 27, 2006

Sell your stock in U-Haul

A friend sent me the following story. It is both funny, and sad because it is sooooo typical of how business treats customers nowadays. The answer of course, it to spread the story far and wide and see if you can't hit them where it really hurts....

Went to pick up a U-haul yesterday to move my stuff from GA to VA and it was an absolute nightmare. Guy hands me keys to the truck and says my equipment is in the back of it. I go to the truck and it won’t start. Plus the equipment on the truck is the wrong equipment. I walk back to the shop and they’re gone. They left for the day without making sure that I was able to get off of the lot. I call U-Haul and after a long hold period get a rep:

Rep: Did you break down somewhere?
Me: No, I was never able to start it to begin with.
Rep: Will the truck start?
Me: No I could never get it started
Rep: Where is the truck now?
Me: It never started so it is still in the U-Haul parking lot.
Rep: Is the truck in a secure location?
Me: It’s in the U-Haul parking lot.

He can’t help me and needs to transfer me to the roadside assistance dept. After holding for a while a guy picks up:
Rep: Did you break down somewhere?
Me: No, I was never able to start it to begin with.
Rep: Will the truck start?
Me: No I could never get it started
Rep: Where is the truck now?
Me: It never started so it is still in the U-Haul parking lot.
Rep: Is the truck in a secure location?
Me: It’s in the U-Haul parking lot. They all must read off of the same sheet of questions b/c this is not the last time I’m asked the same questions.

He tells me to jump the motor. I tell him that I don’t have jumper cables and I’m in the middle of nowhere. He says to try jumping it and if that doesn’t work to call back then hangs up on me. I call U-Haul back and I’m put on hold for so long my cell phone battery goes dead. Drive down the street to a pay phone and call again. Put on hold for so long the pay phone times out my call. Drive home. 32.1 miles.

Call U-Haul and ask to speak to a supervisor. Put on hold. 8:23PM – some girl picks up but it is not a supervisor. He put me on hold for roadside assistance!! So I tell this girl the problem:
Rep: What’s the problem?
Me: I was picking up the truck that I reserved and I was given the truck key by the U-Haul guy and the truck wouldn’t start. Went to tell the guy but he left me stranded here.
Rep: Did you break down somewhere?
Me: No, I was never able to start it to begin with.
Rep: Will the truck start?
Me: No I could never get it started
Rep: Where is the truck now?
Me: It never started so it is still in the U-Haul parking lot.
Rep: Is the truck in a secure location?
Me: It’s in the U-Haul parking lot. She says she can’t help me and needs to transfer me to another dept.. Put on hold again. I hold 45 minutes and give up. Hang up.

My wife calls U-Haul on a separate line to try to speak to a supervisor. She is put on hold and waits for an hour and fifteen minutes before hanging up.

Wife calls U-haul again and asks to speak to a supervisor and the rep says no and hangs up on her.

I grab my jumper cables and figure I’ll drive down and try to jump the truck. 32.1 miles later I arrive. Pop the hood on the truck (24 footer) No battery. Can’t find it. It’s dark and I can’t see anything so I give up looking. Due to how awkward the parking lot was I couldn’t maneuver my car to point the light at the truck. Call U-Haul again and actually get through to a guy in roadside assistance. Conversation went something like this (very bizarre…again):

Rep: What’s the problem?
Me: I was picking up the truck that I reserved and I was given the truck key buy the U-Haul guy and the truck wouldn’t start. Went to tell the guy but he left me stranded here.
Rep: Did you break down somewhere?
Me: No, I was never able to start it to begin with.
Rep: Will the truck start?
Me: Uh, No I could never get it started
Rep: Where is the truck now?
Me: It never started so it is still in the U-Haul parking lot.
Rep: Is the truck in a secure location?
Me: It’s in the U-Haul parking lot.
Rep: You need to jump it.
Me: I can’t locate the battery, you need to tell me where it is or send someone out. (Here comes the best part)
Rep: Is the truck loaded?
Me: Is this a trick question
Rep: No, is the truck loaded.
Me: yes, I brought all of my stuff down here and put it in the truck.
Rep: So it is loaded?
Me: Are you kidding me? NO
Rep: Are you finished using the equipment?
Me: Do you think before asking these questions.
Rep: Are you finished using the equipment?Me: Let me make this as clear as I can. I was never able to start the truck when I came to pick it up so it is still on the lot, I have not used the truck or the equipment at all.
Rep: What is the address?
Me: I give him the address in Tucker, GA?
Rep: Are you north or south of 285?
Me: I have no idea.
Rep: Are you East or West of Stone Mountain?
Me: Can’t you just give the mechanic the address and let him mapquest it.
Rep: I need to know your location.
Me: You already do, I’m still in your parking lot.
Rep: What mile marker are you near?
Me: What are you talking about? I’m not near the interstate. Please just give the mechanic the address and my cell phone # and we will figure it out.

The mechanic shows up and jumps the truck. Turns out the headlights were left on. Oh and the battery was on the lower side of the truck between the gas tank and the front tire in a hidden compartment. 5 hours and fifteen minutes later I’m finally able to drive the truck off of the lot.

Thursday Morning I call U-Haul to get my equipment corrected. On hold for 35 minutes, at which time a girl answers the phone and give me the regional U-Haul office telephone # and tells me to call it. I call the regional office. Hold for 10 minutes:
Rep: How can I help you?
Me: Last night I picked (this is as far as I got)
Rep: please hold. 25 minutes go by and I hang up . I call back and it is answered immediately by the same person.
Rep: How can I help you?
Me: I was given the wrong equipment and need to get it corrected
Rep: please hold.

15 minutes go by

Rep: What is your confirmation #?
Me: My wife has the paperwork can you look it up by name?
Rep: Please hold.

10 minutes go by.

During this time my wife gets me the paperwork.
Rep: What is your confirmation #?
Me: xxxx-xx-xxx-xxxx
Rep: You can go to The U-Haul location XXX and get new equipment.
Me: is there anything closer than 40 miles away?
Rep: No

U-Haul sucks!

9 Comments:

Blogger admin said...

Judas Priest!

I think I would have blown a gasket.

7:38 AM, May 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE AN AXE TO GRIND WITH UHAUL. I CANT IMAGINE THAT HAPPENING AT ALL. I'M MILITARY AND HAVE USED THEM SEVERAL TIMES. ANY PROBLEMS WHAT 1 OR 2 I HAD THEY WORKED A SOLUTION THE FIRST PHONE CALL. SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY HAVE WORKED FOR THEM AND WANT TO SPREAD A BAD RUMOR. SORRY, MY SERVICE WAS FANTASTIC AND I ALWAYS CHOOSE UHAUL.

9:45 AM, December 08, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I think mabey your an old fool and spoke rude to the customer service operators at uhaul. Next time check yourself old fool!UNIONS SUCK !

6:15 PM, January 28, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I know what that guy is talking about I worked for u-haul for 5 years in north jersey.they will make a reservation for you even if they know that a truck or trailer isnt available .then they send you to west bubba fuck to pick it up so that they can say that they forfill there part of the deal.they think they know what you what by the first few words you say that why they place you on hold to try to transfer you somewhere.they also have different phone lines that tell them why your calling.And that is how they treat customer and they dont treat their employee any better half of the time there is no manager available so the customer service rep have to do what they think is best.they put you on hold forever so you will just say fucked and hang up.I am trying to sell my stocks but they keep dropping so Its not worth it for me to sell them so I will just hold on to them.

12:12 PM, March 06, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody everywhere says bad stuff about their experience with U-Haul, so this must be more than a coincidence. Some people say they don't have trucks as reserved because other customers return them late. Let's do some real hard thinking here. The trucks are probably returned late because they broke down.

7:35 PM, March 26, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually that sucks a lot, although i dont see a problem with equipment. they have to right to put you in a bigger viehicle, at least ur getting a truck right. aside from the obvious lack of customer service and quality of the truck i would really be arguiing about equipment.

8:56 AM, January 26, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the biggest example of EXAGERATION that I have EVER heard. The complainer's time line doesn't even line up!!! you were at the Uhaul parking lot in the middle of nowhere but yet there are payphones just up the road?? Was the complainer at a UHUAL Center or in fact a Dealer?? I have used Uhauls in many locations several times over 30 yrs and I have NEVER just been handed the keys to a truck, the truck has ALWAYS been brought to me EVERY SINGLE TIME. And who the hell would hold a phone for an hour and half while on hold (as the complainer said his wife did) ?? I'm no Judge Judy but I can tell a lier when I hear one!!!!

7:36 PM, February 01, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That person is BS!!! I work for U-haul and WE DO NOT ANSWER THE PHONE like that!"Did you break down somewhere???" NO no and no...Obviously if you were calling emergency road service, your obviously broken down somewhere.We wouldn't ask that... Also we would not tell you to jump the truck, especailly if you clearly stated that you didn't have any jumper cables, nor would we tell you to callback after trying.You wrote this little Shin dig back in 2006..Well I've been with this company since 2006.(In ERS @ that) so I know for a fact that you are a lie!

10:40 AM, February 05, 2010  
Blogger Grandma and Grandpa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:33 PM, November 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<