Monday, December 18, 2006

Calling 9-1-1

The Lib-Guy points out as often as anyone how screwed up government is. And I can't disagree with him.

But here is a classic screwup from city leaders ... who have moved to bigger and better offices .. which puts our parents at risk.

My mother is elderly ... hell, I'm elderly ... and we all worry about her falling and not being able to get to a phone to tell anyone. So I bought a thingy that she can wear around her neck and press a button to call 9-1-1 and then it calls me in case something should happen.

Yesterday I was replacing the battery in the unit and accidentally hit the call button. A few minutes later --- who other than the St. Johns ambulance shows up. I apoligised profusly for the false alarm but was grateful that I knew the damn thingy worked.

Well, today a guy, by the name of J. R. Webb at the Springfield Communications center called my mom, and then talked with me. I thought I would have to apologise for wasting everyone's time.

No so ...

Mr. Webb imformed me that there is a Springfield City Ordinance prohibiting recorded calls to the 9-1-1 center. I about fell off my chair. So I started calling around.

Turns out he is right ... there is a law ... SGF Ord 50-46 .. that prohibits any calls to 9-1-1 with prerecorded messages. Not only that, but it is a criminal misdemeanor to do so.

I asked Mr. Webb if 9-1-1 would fail to respond to a recorded message, he said, no ... and I believe that. I also asked if the city would fine or prosecute a caller of a message.... he weaseled by saying he didn't know.

The absolute absurdity of this is self evident. I told Tony Messenger at the paper about it and I think they might be interested ...

But what I just learned was who on City Council sponsored this ordinance back in 1988. Ready ...

....are you sure you are sitting down ...


That friend of the children and the people ...

Norma Champion

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot the 'Aunt' part. One of my Aunts was a whacked out pill popping Meth head. Anyone who feels the need to put 'Aunt' or 'Uncle' (yes, I had a sneaky uncle too) in front of their names truly scares me.

3:15 AM, December 19, 2006  
Blogger Busplunge said...

Gee, signing in on this thing is a chore!

Cox Hospital and Community Hospices have live panic buttons for elderly.

I think they are minimal charge or no charge.

Maybe Aunt Norma will soon need one and realize how ridiculous the ordinance is,,,,,unless she owns a business of panic buttons.

6:29 PM, December 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, she has a button that calls to the plastic surgeons at cox. When part of her face falls, the alarm bells go off, and emergency surgery begins...they call it the golden hours.

3:12 PM, December 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why liberals, and conservatives, need to stay the hell out of government.

2:09 AM, December 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<