Thursday, August 04, 2005

Intelligent Design?? Not!!

There are hundreds of web sites that take the modern cretinists (no, I spelled it correctly) who want to drag us kicking and screaming back to the 14th Century, to task. This was exacerbated this week when George Bush, not known for his knowledge of science, stepped firmly into a big, steaming, pile of retorical horseshit. I am usually so outraged at these people that I keep silent, but Pharyngula has said it well.

"I am a biologist. Like it or not, the Republican party is being led by religious zealots who are anti-biology, who publicly and vigorously oppose reason and knowledge and evidence in my field of study.

"This hasn't always been true, and it may not always be true (I hope), but right now and right here, it is inarguably the case. I will not throttle my criticisms of the despicable gang of anti-intellectuals who run this country because it might irritate all those millions of people who voted for George W. Bush; they were wrong and he is wrong and it is my responsibility as a scientist to oppose ignorance, especially ignorance that has power and influence. Let them find comfort and forgiveness for stupid mistakes in their religion, because I sure as hell am not going to give it to them.

"Don't tell me to be dispassionate or less unreasonable about it all because because 65% of the American population think creationism should be taught alongside evolution, or that Americans are just responding to common notions of "fairness". That just tells me that we scientists have not been expressing our outrage enough. And yes, we should be outraged that the president of our country panders to theocrats, faith-healers, and snake-oil artists; sitting back and quietly explaining that Bush may be a decent man who is mistaken, while the preachers are stridently condemning all us evilutionists to hell, is a damned ineffective tactic that has gotten us to this point."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Along these lines I highly recommend "The Christian Paradox" in the August issue of Harper's.

4:58 PM, August 08, 2005  
Blogger John Stone said...

An exerpt from the article is on-line at http://www.harpers.org/ExcerptTheChristianParadox.html

You're right it's well worth a read.

10:42 PM, August 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<