Wednesday, July 05, 2006

We Had to Destroy that Village to Save It

American commanders have a new plan for Ramadi,
the "epicenter of the Iraqi insurgency and the focus
of a grinding struggle between American forces and t
he guerrillas," according to an article slated for the front
page of Wednesday's New York Times: "Get rid of it."

"In three years, the Marines and the army have tried

nearly everything to bring this provincial capital of
400,000 under control," writes Dexter Filkins.
"Nothing has worked."

"Now, American commanders are trying something

totally new," the article continues. "They are going
to get rid of it, planning to bulldoze about
three blocks in the middle of the city and convert

them into a "Green Zone," a version of the fortified
and largely stable area that houses the Iraqi and
American leadership in Baghdad."



Millions of people in the world are starving
Candy Crowley is responsible for it.
Rush and Candy – a date made in heaven, or McD’s….

5 Comments:

Blogger admin said...

I just discovered today that The Curbstone Critic was the title of a column back in the old days when Springfield had two papers. A nice nostalgic nod.

10:41 AM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger John Stone said...

You are absolutely right Jack. Tom A. Ellis wrote the Curbstone Critic column for the afternoon paper, the News and Leader, and was the long-time farm editor. The editors back then were Dale Freemaqn and Frank Farmer.

He treated me like a son (like he did so many others in that newsroom). His first contact was a letter from me that he turned into a column, and I will reproduce on the blog. He called me and said, "Son, I am going to teach you how to write." And he did.

I loved him.

11:23 AM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger John Stone said...

Here is the link to the column that got Tom Ellis and I started along the road to friendship..

http:pages.sbcglobal.net/jxstone/Tom_Ellis_Column.htm

11:40 AM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger admin said...

How wonderful to have a friendship such as that.

10:11 AM, July 08, 2006  
Blogger John Stone said...

Frank Farmer has a collection of all his old columns. Dale Freeman may have it too. I went through all of them with the idea of turning it into a memorial book. The idea never really got off the ground, but it's still a good one.

Which reminds me. Since Frank is getting up in years, and I want to make sure that collection is preserved, I need to ask him to give them to me --- or MSU - or the paper, if they would preserve them and make them available.

10:33 AM, July 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<