Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Is it just me?

I am sitting here watching the service for President Ford. Like all ceremonies with much pomp and circumstance, I like it.

Now that the religious part of the funeral has begun, I won't pay much attention. This part is for the family. But the public part, the part for all the rest of us, struck me.

Tom Brokow gave the most enlightening part of the eulogies. I expect this from him, since he is a wordsmith. Bush 41 had the best characterization, comparing Chevy Chase to Dana Carvey's intrepretation of presidents. Kissinger, was ... well ... Kissinger.

But as the camera panned into the audience I noted that Presidents Clinton, Bush and Carter, seemed to be warm, relaxed and confident that he had been a man worth of their respect.

George Bush looked bored to tears. Ho, hum ... another one of those onerous duties of going to a dead man's funeral. And giving an totally uninspired speech, delivered in the wooden tone that only Americans can recognize as a "I really don't give a shit about what I'm saying", tone that we have become so well aquainted with ....

To recall the words of Henry VIII ... will somebody rid me of this meddlesome priest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<